Thursday, March 22, 2012

MY OWN JOURNEY - Part 1

The best place to start any journey is at the very beginning. That's where you discover the roots of what will be; where you unearth the influences that affect you in later life. As such, my road to becoming an author started a long time ago. Back in 1960!

When I was growing up, I wanted to be an astronaut. Either that, or enter the military as 5 previous generations of my family had done. I never dreamed that one day, I would be an author.
Don't get me wrong, I had imagination by the bucket-load, but I never realised that one day, I'd actually sit down and put what was in my mind into a book.

I had learnt to read before I went to school, and from an early age devoured anything I could find to read. However, I particularly loved science fiction & paranormal adventures.
Up until I entered the military, I had mint condition Superman - Batman - The Flash - Fantastic 4 - Green Lantern - Thor - The X-Men & Spiderman magazines. (ALL of them, from No 1) - could you imagine what they'd be worth now?
I'd also read every single science fiction book in the local library, from the likes of Asimov, Clark & Hubbard.
My favorite TV show's were things like Fireball XL5, Space Patrol, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, Thunderbird's, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, The Tomorrow People, UFO, Space 1999, Star Trek - spot the theme yet?
While I was in the military, I began enjoying a wider band of fiction - Fantasy!
Stephen Donaldson, Ursula Le Guin, J R R Tolkein, Julian May were authors who I could really relate to - each of them having a different taste to their writing.
During my time as a Police Officer, I kept an eye out for other quality writers, discovering the likes of Raymond E Feist, Trudi Canavan and Tad Williams.
My television viewing followed suit. The New Star Trek Spin-Off's were a must see, as was Babylon 5, Stargate SG1 & Atlantis, Heroes - and a particular favorite of mine - the re-vamped Battlestar Galactica.

Why do I tell you all this?
Well, quite simply, those things had an influence on me growing up. An influence that continued into adulthood, where the harsh realities of life made me wish on many occasions..."If only science fiction/fantasy could be science fact!"

What do I mean?
My time in the military and Police caused me to witness suffering and tragedy "Up close & personal" in all sorts of different places, in all sorts of different ways over the many years I served. At the scene of a death or an accident or bomb blast, I often used to wonder, "What would have happened if we had got here sooner?" - "What would happen if we had the technology to undo this? Or prevent it happening in the first place?"
So it started me thinking - "what IF"
What IF there was such a thing as a global emergency service that had the resources and the capabilities to respond to any type of disaster no-matter where it occured. How would they operate? How would they train? How would they fit into society? Would everyone be pleased?

Thus the "Guardians Concept" was born - Gradually, little by little, bit by bit, over the years, until I started jotting down an endless ream of notes and ideas as to how they could be brought to life.

Little did I realise at the time, that I was following a golden rule of writing:
If you're going to write about something, write about a subject you know well! Something you've had a relationship with - a history with. Something that you can put that personal touch to, and make it stand out.

So - how did I breathe life into the concept? That's for next time

No comments:

Post a Comment